Sunday, 4 October 2015

Another unhappy experience with ARDrone SDK

I got a new MacBook Pro with Retina display, running OS X 10.10.5, and latest XCode 7.0.1. While still waiting for TestFlight Beta testing to approve my test, decided to give ARDrone SDK another go.

According to this page, they are now on version 3.6, the first run was quite interesting, as "" picked up the folder name was incorrect straight away. This is certainly a huge improvement, as last time it took me a while reading through lots of logs to work that out.

After that's fixed, tried to run "./ -t iOS", then it goes downhill unfortunately. It died 1st time after "openssl", and took 11m 4s.
Since this is a new machine, I can't remember if I have installed "brew" myself, or was it done as part of the ARSDK installation. When I checked after the 1st run using "brew list", it shows all the 6 required tools were installed: autoconf, automake, git, libtool, openssl and wget.

2nd time it died with "ARSAL" and only took 1m 22s.

The error was as shown below "no known instance method for selector", which I have absolutely no idea what does that mean.

After that I can't move forward any more, tried a few times all failed, also tried with " -t iOS --force-clean" still same result. Very frustrating...

Searched the net and found this post on parrot forum also experiencing similar issue just a few days ago. Let's hope it can be resolved pretty soon.

So my conclusion is, again, a very bad experience with ARDrone SDK... And don't forget this is just to compile the SDK framework to be included in the XCode, you still have to write your objective C/Swift code and build into an iOS app..... what a pain, why can't parrot just release a compiled framework, how hard can that be?

Tried Testflight Beta Testing for the first time

Tried Testflight Beta Testing for the the first time today, from the info provided, it looks quite simple and user friendly.

The part I am not that comfortable with, is that you need to submit for review before external testers can test it. Just submitted one, will wait and see how long it takes to be approved. From what I found on the net, looks like first submission is always quite slow and could take up to a day or 2. Let's wait and see...

I decided to drop EveryPlay due to various problems

I used to like Everyplay a lot - even though none of my published games includes that, yet... Mainly because it provides quick and simple solution to auto record your whole game session, plus lots of sharing functions.

However, after they dropped EveryplaySoundEngine (from v1.9.7 May 2015), I have lots of problems.

E.g., I always play a short audio at the splash/game load up screen. Once included Everyplay, it either get cut off when Everyplay loads, or won't even play at all.

Then inside a simple SpriteKit game I was working on, lots of sound playing using SKAction wouldn't work any more. Once disabled Everyplay, all the sound playing works...

After various failed attempts, unfortunately I have to drop Everyplay, on SpriteKit games at least..... until the issue been resolved.